Job Duties and Tasks for: "Computer Hardware Engineer"
1) Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan layout, including type of computers and peripheral equipment modifications.
2) Analyze user needs and recommend appropriate hardware.
3) Build, test and modify product prototypes, using working models or theoretical models constructed using computer simulation.
4) Confer with engineering staff and consult specifications to evaluate interface between hardware and software and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
5) Design and develop computer hardware and support peripherals, including central processing units (CPUs), support logic, microprocessors, custom integrated circuits, and printers and disk drives.
6) Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
7) Monitor functioning of equipment and make necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
8) Specify power supply requirements and configuration, drawing on system performance expectations and design specifications.
9) Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
10) Test and verify hardware and support peripherals to ensure that they meet specifications and requirements, analyzing and recording test data.
11) Write detailed functional specifications that document the hardware development process and support hardware introduction.
12) Assemble and modify existing pieces of equipment to meet special needs.
13) Direct technicians, engineering designers or other technical support personnel as needed.
14) Provide technical support to designers, marketing and sales departments, suppliers, engineers and other team members throughout the product development and implementation process.